Allow setting `SiteConfiguration` values for the default site or a
specific site by id or domain when provisioning an instance.
*JIRA tickets*: None.
*Sandbox URL*: TBD - sandbox is being provisioned.
*Merge deadline*: None
1. Provision an instance with this branch. Verify that there are no errors.
1. Provision a new appserver on the instance with `EDXAPP_SITE_CONFIGURATION` set (see the comment in the `playbooks/roles/edxapp/defaults/main.yml` file for the structure of values). Verify that the `SiteConfiguration` values are set and there are no errors.
For example, this could be a good test configuration
1. Repeat the previous step by adding another item to the list with both `site_id` and `domain` keys set and verify that the playbook fails with an error message stating that both cannot be specified at the same time.
Since each of the above steps involve provisioning new appservers and that can take a lot of time, there is a workaround to test the steps 2 and 3.
1. Log in to the appserver created for the step 1.
1. Navigate to the `/edx/app/edx_ansible/edx_ansible` directory as the `root` user. Create a virtualenv environment, activate it and install the requirements in `requirements.txt`.
1. Save the secure configuration variables used to provision the appserver on disk (say `/tmp/vars.yml`).
1. Edit the `/edx/app/edx_ansible/edx_ansible/playbooks/openedx_native.yml` playbook to comment out the entire `Bootstrap instance(s)` play.
1. Under the `Configure instance(s)` play, add `connection: local` before the `hosts: all` line.
1. The edits done in the previous steps will reduce the running time of the playbook by commenting out the tasks/plays that were already run successfully and hence need not be run repeatedly during testing. They will also allow running the playbook locally without SSH.
1. Run the following command from the `/edx/app/edx_ansible/edx_ansible/playbooks` directory, replacing the name and path to the vars file with the correct ones you have used.
ansible-playbook -i "127.0.0.1," -e @/tmp/vars.yml openedx_native.yml --tags create_or_update_configuration
1. For testing various scenarios, update the vars file, update/delete the existing `SiteConfiguration` values as required and re-run the command mentioned in the previous step to test various scenarios.
[ ] @giovannicimolin / @viadanna
[ ] edX reviewer[s] TBD
Configuration Pull Request
Make sure that the following steps are done before merging:
[ ] A DevOps team member has approved the PR if it is code shared across multiple services and you don't own all of the services.
[ ] Are you adding any new default values that need to be overridden when this change goes live? If so:
[ ] Update the appropriate internal repo (be sure to update for all our environments)
[ ] If you are updating a secure value rather than an internal one, file a DEVOPS ticket with details.
[ ] Add an entry to the CHANGELOG.
[ ] If you are making a complicated change, have you performed the proper testing specified on the [Ops Ansible Testing Checklist](https://openedx.atlassian.net/wiki/display/EdxOps/Ops+Ansible+Testing+Checklist)? Adding a new variable does not require the full list (although testing on a sandbox is a great idea to ensure it links with your downstream code changes).
[ ] Think about how this change will affect Open edX operators. Have you updated the wiki page for the next Open edX release?
static_template_about_header: "About Page!"
static_template_about_content: "Hello world!"