This table summarizes the types of extensions that are currently supported by the edX Platform:
|Extension Type||Description||Current Support|
|Courseware component types||Use XBlocks to create new types of components that can be included in a course.||XBlocks documentation|
|External graders||Host an external grader separately from the edX platform.||External Graders|
|LTI applications||Add external learning applications or digital textbooks.||Open edX LTI documentation|
|LMS course tabs||Shows a new tab to the user when they are viewing a course.||Adding a new course tab|
|Studio/LMS page||Add a new page to Studio or the LMS. Note that this currently requires making changes directly into the edX platform.||How to add a new page to LMS or Studio|
|User partition schemes||Add a new scheme that will partition users into one of a set of groups.||Technical architecture for cohorted courseware|
- There is more detail in the edX Developer's Guide: Options for Extending the edX Platform.
- Web Fragments describes how to build pluggable user interfaces.
- Feature Plugins for edX Platform describes how the platform could be extended to support feature plugins.
- How to add a new feature to LMS or Studio describes the steps necessary to implement a new feature as a separate Django app.
- How to add a new plugin entry point to edX platform describes how to go about providing a new type of plugin.