2023-03-07 DevExp Meetup Notes

Mar 7, 2023


Please be advised: DevExp Working Group meetings are recorded.

Link: https://tcril-org.zoom.us/rec/share/UPzmGvffcygA7TCYGaVqdluezM2UMCx4ViMvBNMwunSkLuDfi7DXKWvhvpGmfvWq.nfUzUnYjkf-E_vPH


Meeting captain: @Rebecca Graber (Deactivated)

Notetaker: @Kyle McCormick


  • @Jeremy Bowman (Deactivated)

  • @Maria Fernanda Magallanes Z

  • @Régis B.

Discussion topics






Looking for lightning presenters for the WG session at the conference



@Maria Fernanda Magallanes Z - Tutor Patch listing


Cross Pollination

  • Tools/features/opportunities

  • Tips and tricks

  • Roadmap news

  • @Rebecca Graber (Deactivated) (2U-ArchBOM)

    • trying to categorize the various features and tasks we need a development environment to do to see which ones we can make orchestration- and deployment-independent (eg: once we have all our Dockerfiles set up, we should be able to build images without regard to the eventual orchestration or deployment, but discovering related services will probably always be orchestration-dependent)

    • Collecting a lot of good specific devstack problems to help us both find quick wins and decide the future of the repo

  • @Régis B.

  • @Kyle McCormick

    • I’m getting rid of the Paver assets code in edx-platform and rewriting it mostly in bash. If you are interested or have feedback here’s an ADR: . I’m going to merge that soon so let me know asap if you have any concerns!

    • ShellCheck will be available to add to all repo’s CI suites soon, as applicable.

  • Mafer

    • I was playing a little bit with plugins and index, which is an interesting opportunity


  • Each challenge should have a follow up action.

  • If you have an idea for follow up actions, add it.

  • Or if you aren’t sure, leave it blank.

  • We’ll discuss all actions either way.

  • Kyle

    • Getting lost in the edx-platform weeds on the way to making tutor dev easier

      • Lmk if you need my help on anything or I’ve been missing anything in the past few weeks -Kyle

  • Mafer

    • What is the process of adding a plugin in public tutor indexes?

      • Open a pr to the https://github.com/overhangio/tpi repo to add it to the current release

      • This will make it appear to everyone when they run tutor plugins update , allowing it to be installed with tutor plugins install <pluginname>

      • Every release, open a new PR to add your plugin to the new release.

    • What are the uses cases for having private tutor indexes?

    • I read something about reduce the build time of docker images, are we doing something around this?

      • Regis is collecting feedback:

      • There are multiple facets, with different solutions

        • Cold start: Build with no cache

        • Rebuild: e.g in dev mode

      • Kyle: is working on (see “Speed up openedx-dev image build time”

      • Over at 2U, they are improving the Dockerfiles used for devstack

      • Trying to document key points in , but it’s still pretty bare

    • I use skip-build, why is that not the default?

Meeting captain: Transpose action items into the “Action Item” section below.


  • DevExp wins!

  • Kyle

    • Only one URL-installed dependency remains in edx-platform, down from nine.

      • thanks Arbi-BOM!

Suggested Action Items

0-2 minutes:

Last Time:

Create a card about cli: tutor config patches show <patch-name> (with info about what we want to print)
@Rebecca Graber (Deactivated) to nag more folks who should be in this meeting


Meeting captain: Move any remaining action item’s to next week’s minutes.

Look at the board