2023-11-06 DevX Meetup Notes

Nov 6, 2023 // Today’s Date

Meet link: https://meet.google.com/eia-hvpt-mfr


Please be advised: DevX Working Group meetings are recorded.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18pIFeSTfe-XzBPMHvzkP07Nzjlnl-MAa/view


Meeting captain: @Kyle McCormick

Notetaker: @Rebecca Graber (Deactivated)


  • @Diana Huang

  • @Jeremy Bowman (Deactivated)

  • @Emad Rad

Discussion topics





Start the Meet recording!


Scheduled Topics / Demos

If you want to schedule topics or demos ahead of time, add them here!

  • @Diana Huang : DevSpace/2U development environment work to replace devstack

    • 2U Arch BOM has been talking about replacing Devstack with something more k8s and less Docker in order to be more in sync with our prod environments

    • One tool we are demo-ing is DevSpace

      • We are trying to move registrar to devspace as a POC

      • Currently using private 2U helm charts. Discussion about whether or not we can use other helm charts or share ours

      • Currently struggling to deal with Vault, which is a 2U-specific problem

      • It can be run locally via minikube and orbstack or hosted elsewhere

      • We like DevSpace because it is commercially supported and managed by the same people who do VCluster

      • Trying not to be too glued to DevSpace in particular but use it as a test case for developing with k8s

    • Q: Does devspace need helm or just manifests?

      • A: Either, but we chose helm because that’s what we (2u) use in production. DevSpace can make its own helm charts but we haven’t gotten them to work

      • Also we think helm will be faster

    • Q: Is it SAAS or can you use it offline?

      • Both. Works on any k8s cluster, local or cloud

    • DevSpace is open source

    • Possible alternatives: Tilt, Okteto. This one looked like it would be the fastest

    • Note: community helm charts:https://github.com/openedx/openedx-k8s-harmony/

Cross Pollination

  • Tools/features/opportunities

  • Tips and tricks

  • Roadmap news

  • @Kyle McCormick

    • Two new Tutor core maintainers - myself and Wahaj Akmal from Arbisoft

    • Looking for a new cookiecutter-tutor-plugin maintainer

  • @Rebecca Graber (Deactivated)

    • Not much DevX-ery recently.

    • Did discover that it’s way easier than previously thought to automatically add issues from multiple repos to a project, even across orgs. This may only be useful for 2U

    • Tim is working on a plugin that allows Slack to be notified when waffle settings change. Not sure how open it is to the community but it hopefully is just a matter of configuring your webhooks

  • @Jeremy Bowman (Deactivated)

    • (same author as , also of potential interest)

  • @Diana Huang

    • Devspace updates listed above


  • Each challenge should have a follow up action.

  • If you have an idea for follow up actions, add it.

  • Or if you aren’t sure, leave it blank.

  • We’ll discuss all actions either way.

  • @Jeremy Bowman (Deactivated)

    • Bitrot in cookiecutters

    • Also - daylight savings end playing havoc on meeting schedule

Meeting captain: Transpose action items into the “Action Item” section below.


  • DevExp wins!

  • @Kyle McCormick

    • Bok Choy’s gone from edx-platform

    • Merged xblock-utils into XBlock repo


Suggested Action Items

Last Time:

@Kyle McCormick pushing for better use of “!” in conventional commits

This Time:

@Kyle McCormick try Colima
(FYI OrbStack is still in 2U vendor review)
@Rebecca Graber (Deactivated) @Jeremy Bowman (Deactivated) Consider making the devstack channel public
Becca to announce in the 2u channel that there’s an openedx channel that they should use for non-private issues
@Rebecca Graber (Deactivated) to check Tutor on ARM again-again (userid thing is fixed)


Look at the board

After the meeting…

  • Make an agenda for next time (copy the template).

  • Axim: Paste in the Meet link once it’s ready.

  • Paste these notes and next week’s agenda in #wg-developer-experience