This page is intended to give an overview of the roadmap for the platform team. Currently it's a dump of the todo list I've been working on.
Your thoughts and contributions are welcome.
Items are somewhat ordered...
- CSM will run out of primary key
|Old Mongo Migration|
PLAT-753Getting issue details...
||Ready for work|
- Put this offline in S3
- removes an entire database system
|Django upgrade cleanup||
PLAT-1717Getting issue details...
PLAT-1684Getting issue details...
|Upgrade Celery 3 → Celery 4||Ready for work|
edx-platform Python 3 upgrade
- Django 2.0 will require python 3.
- Django 1.11 support will end at the earliest on April 1, 2020
- In order to properly support the open source community the edx-platform must be upgraded to python 3 / Django 2.0 before the lat 2019
PLAT-1782Getting issue details...
|We are currently unable to import from certain paths in the edx-platform. Clean this up.||Ready for work|
|Pact - Contract testing|
Enables consumer driven contract testing, providing a mock service and DSL for the consumer project, and interaction playback and verification for the service provider project.
Currently images are served at whatever size they were uploaded as. This allows course authors to do things such as:
- Uplaod a 10meg image for a thumbnail
- Cause slower page loads
We should have a way to resize images that are uploaded to optimize for page load times in the platform.
Dave's Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17V3TXAnSfJXyYW1cC0273rJWSS6QtKu1yh70H-Bucr0/edit#
Possible solution: http://thumbor.org/
- Perhaps covered under ACE
- One of the goals is to stop sending email via the web servers
|Library upgrade pull request tool|
PLAT-1783Getting issue details...
|Should we just use requires.io? ||Ready for Discovery|
- Separate configuration from code in all our applications.
- One AMI built per cluster
- For example, an 'edxapp' AMI instead of all these:
- Would be nice:
- Dynamic configuration changes without new AMI deployment
|Open edx release automation||
PLAT-1921Getting issue details...
||Automate the steps necessary to do an open source release|
Red/Black queue deployments
PLAT-1751Getting issue details...
|Isolate queues for each deployment. Engineers shouldn't need to program for isolation inside the application.||Needs Discovery|
|Databases on demand|
- It takes too long to bring up databases for testing in environments
- The data needs to be scrubed
- would be nice if this could be a one click process