If you are making changes to UI strings or Help text in HTML templates, you can make edx-platform your working GIT directory in a running version of devstack. When you make your changes you can verify them in your local devstack prior to making commits to the master branch of edx-platform.
- Install Devstack on your local system as described here.
- Complete steps through
- In Git for Mac, clone the repository to the devstack directory. You are overwriting the edx-platform directory with the repository from github.
- Select your working branch and synch it.
- Continue with instructions to run devstack:
- If you have closed your connection, run
vagrant ssh, then run
sudo su edxapp.
- To run Studio on devstack, run
paver devstack studio
To run LMS on devstack, run
paver devstack lms
- To edit UI text:
- Locate the file that you need to modify in Finder (for example, devstack/edx-platform/cms/templates/certificates.html)
- Make your changes and save the file.
- Verify your changes in a browser before committing the changes.
- If there are issues, make further changes in the files and refresh LMS or Studio in a browser to see the effects of each saved change.
- If the content renders correctly, commit and synch changes in Git.