Relevant Log Files
|Log File Location||What's in it?|
Startup error messages and debug output from the running LMS django process
- If you're getting a startup error, look here
|/edx/var/log/supervisor/supervisord.log||Debug output from the supervisor task manager|
- If you make changes to the supervisor task definitions, look here.
|Request logs and errors from the LMS|
- If you're getting a 500 error on a certain request, look here.
|/edx/var/log/nginx/error.log||Errors from nginx proxy server that front-ends both the LMS and CMS. |
- Mostly access or configuration related errors. If you're getting a 4xx or 5xx error, look here
Access logs for all requests to the server.
- If you want to see apache style logs for every request your server is getting, look here.
|Configuration File Location||What's in it?||Format|
|Most configuration parameters for the app.|
- Feature flags
- backend server locations
- theme related settings
|Authentication parameters for the app|
- API Keys
- Database passwords
- occasional settings that are paired with authentication
|Supervisor task manager configuration for apps|
- Environment variables are here
- Startup commands for the apps.
|/edx/app/supervisor/pre_supervisor_checks.py||Migration check commands||Python|
- Look in log files for errors
- Solve the problem
Use convenient make commands to view logs for specific IDAs. More details in the readme https://github.com/edx/devstack
To see logs from containers running in detached mode, you can either use "Kitematic" (available from the "Docker for Mac" menu), or by running the following:
To view the logs of a specific service container run
make <service>-logs. For example, to access the logs for Ecommerce, you can run: